30th November – reading for the turning on of the Christmas Lights Fleet Street 5.30pm (outside City Thameslink Station)
- 10th January – Reading at TATE ST IVES – Book your free ticket: https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-st-ives/barbara-hepworth-art-and-life/poetry-reading-with-ella-frears
- 25th January – Guardian Masterclass online https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-masterclasses/2022/mar/04/on-brevity-how-to-write-very-short-poems-with-ella-frears
- 26th & 27th January – School’s readings and workshops as part of TOAST Poetry’s schools tour
- 4th February – special guest tutor on Sian Davey’s photography course SOLD OUT
- 6th-10th February – Poetry Course at Dartington with special guest Sheena Patel https://www.dartington.org/event/expose-and-disclose/
MARCH 20th – MAY 20th 2023 Books open for 1-2-1 sessions, manuscript assessment, editing, and mentorship
Between March 20th and May 20th 2023 I’ll be away from my London desk and in Italy, and will therefore have a few slots available each month for 1-2-1 sessions online, looking at poetry or other creative writing.
This is for poets at any stage looking for focussed feedback or mentorship, or artists from other disciplines who would like to bring poetry/writing into their practice.
These can be one-off sessions, or a few sessions spread out in which we’d work towards a goal (exhibition, pamphlet, collection, publication etc.)
I normally only take on a few private mentees a year – previous mentees have gone on to publish collections, pamphlets, win poetry competitions, and put on award winning exhibitions & events.
I have taught for The Guardian, The Poetry Society, The Poetry School, City Lit, as an Associate Lecturer at Goldsmiths University, as a Guest Lecturer at Falmouth University and many more.
For rates and availability please email me at email@example.com. (Limited spaces available).
- May 6th & 13th – ‘creating your first collection’ workshop, City Lit https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/create-your-first-poetry-collection
- 1st June – presentation of Risplendi, Cara the Italian translation of Shine, Darling in Lugano, Switzerland
- 3rd June – presentation of Risplendi, Cara the Italian translation of Shine, Darling in Milan
FAREWELL SATURN – CASSINI’S FUNERAL
Sept 15th 2017, Bold Tendencies, Peckham
photos by Cat Goryn
After nearly twenty years in space and countless discoveries made, on the 15th September 2017 the Cassini Spacecraft was sent the command to plunge into Saturn’s atmosphere — destroying it completely and resulting in a fiery end to the mission.
Funded by the Arts Council England and in partnership with writing agency Spread the Word, Ella Frears was Poet in Residence at Royal Holloway University responding to the final months of the mission; working towards elegy and asking what the death of a machine one billion kilometres away might mean to us.
The ‘Space Funeral’ was curated by Ella Frears, hosted by writer/performer Stuart Silver.
Featuring poetry written during the residency as well as newly commissioned works by:
Composer, Rufus Isabel Elliot
Architect/Designer, Emma-Kate Matthews
Filmmaker, Louis Rizzo-Naudi
Memorial temporary tattoos were designed by Ben Jones